Tuesday, May 18, 2010

My Mobile Phone is an Extention of my Body

I don't know that i could live without my mobile phone. Well, obviously i would physically survive, but I think I would have pretty severe withdrawal symptoms. My life is in my mobile phone, all of my friends contacts, a calender reminding me of peoples birthdays and events I have commited to, the internet if i ever need to look something up on the go, and when I forget to put on my watch in the morning, I rely on it to tell me the time.
More and more mobile phones are becoming a necessity. If you have a mobile phone, you are expected to be available around the clock.


Since mobile phones came out they have been used as an accessory. Business men and women used to place their mobile phone on the table when they went out to lunch to show their important status. I remeber when my mum came home with her first mobile phone and we were so impressed with the size of it; "Oh my god! its like the size of a Mars Bar!"

Since then, phones became smaller and smaller. The smaller your phone was, the more important you were seen to be. Now with the inroduction of the internet on mobile phones, they need for a bigger screen had increased the size of the phone once again. When they were first introduced, mobile phones were used for business purposes, now they are a social necessity.

Mobile phones are even being used to make micromovies. These micromovies are scripted with paied actors and consumers pay money to download and watch them. As of yet this phoenomonem has not taken off, although there are many interesting clips available online. Another advantage of being able to film from your mobile phone is to make use of the footage as evidence. There have been recent cases where school bullying that has extended to physical altercations has been filmed and been used as evidence in the prosocution process.



The video below shows how adicitve mobile phones can me. One interviewee describes loosing his phone as the equilavent to loosing an arm. Although there are psoitives to all the uses of a mobile phone, such as needing to keep in contact in emergency situations there are many negatives aswell. Face to face communication has be drastically reduced with the growing dominance of the mobile phone as the primary source of communication. More and more the mobile phone is becoming the most used piece of technology today. According to Ruston and Stein (2005) “Coupled with the near-ubiquity of the mobile phone, this capability of the phone as conduit for multiple connections and perspectives in any given space positions it as a catalyst or potential vehicle for the simultaneously interactive and immersive media experience.”

No comments:

Post a Comment